Like the Tatihou Island Tower, which has been a UNESCO World Heritage Site since July 2008, the Tower of the Hougue Peninsula is one of the finest examples of Vauban’s military genius. A real heritage treasure, this tower can be visited all year round.
La Hougue: favourite place for your holidays in Saint Vaast la Hougue
Only 500m from the Manche campsite, take a walk around the fortification of La Hougue. Escape for a walk of about an hour between history and the sea. Climb to the top of this building and enjoy a panoramic view of the 2019 Frenchmen’s Favourite Village and the Bay of Morsalines between Quettehou and Quinéville! During the summer season, the Tour de la Hougue can be visited every day with free access. Furthermore, if you wish to learn more about the history of the fortification, the Cotentin tourist office organises guided tours during the summer.
Rent your accomodation with a beautiful view on la Hougue !
Lots of good reasons to book our mobile homes with sea view with an exceptional and privileged view of the Tour de La Hougue. So don’t wait to book your accommodation now at La Gallouette campsite in Normandy opposite one of the Vauban towers.
The history of the Vauban towers of St Vaast
It was in June 1692, after the Battle of la Hougue, off the coast of Saint-Vaast, that Vauban gave the order to build two towers. He decided to reinforce the defensive system of the Cotentin coast at Cherbourg and St Vaast following the losses of the French fleet. The aim of these fortifications was to protect the roadstead, the anchorage of the boats and overall the entrance of the village by the sea.
The invasions on the Cotentin coast and the bay of St Vaast are part of the history of Normandy. As a result, the Vauban towers bear witness to the past of the Cotentin, an authentic territory steeped in history, which is still reflected today in the Norman patois, a cultural heritage.
Also, during your stay at the campsite, come and relive the history of the battles of La Hougue and immerse yourself in the world of the pirates by visiting the exhibition of the maritime museum of Tatihou Island.
Around the Fort de la Hougue
On the Hougue Peninsula, the environment also allows you to enjoy the beauty of the :
- the beach of la Hougue, very appreciated for its magnificent view of the island of Tatihou. An afternoon beach just a few metres from the La Gallouette campsite. Beach or swimming pool? The choice is yours!
- tennis courts at your disposal
- a children’s playground
- to see the goats climbing the walls of the fortification
- the small beach bar at La Houguette to refresh yourself or have a picnic.
Inside the fortification, hidden from view, bees forage… They produce the “Miel de la Hougue” which is available for sale during the honey festival. These awareness-raising actions on the essential role of bees are promoted by the association Agir pour le Val de Saire. Thus, Saint Vaast-la-Hougue has received the “Api Cité” label.
Things to do in La Hougue
- Guided tours of the Fort de la Hougue, information at the tourist information office, opposite the port of St Vaast.
- Terre de Marin Festival: weekend in June in a maritime and friendly atmosphere. Listen to traditional sea songs: Anglo-Norman or Cotentinian songs. Let yourself be transported into the maritime world with music!
- Volley Vacances à la Hougue : Every week in summer, come and play a Volley Ball match on the terrace of la Hougue.
- Horse Show : Attend the horse show in La Hougue free of charge and with free access. A real rendez-vous for riders and walkers.
- Games on 15 August: traditional games for the whole family organised on the terreplein of la Hougue.