Like the Tatihou Island Tower, which has been a UNESCO World Heritage Site since July 2008, the Tower of the Hougue Peninsula is one of the finest examples of Vauban’s military genius. A true heritage treasure, this tower can be visited all year round!
La Hougue: favourite place for your holidays in Saint Vaast la Hougue
Only 500m from La Manche campsite, go for a walk around the fortification of La Hougue. Escape for a walk of about an hour between history and the sea waves. During the high season, the Tour de la Hougue can be visited every day with free access. Climb to the top of this building and enjoy a panoramic view of the “Village préféré des Français 2019” (Frenchmen’s Favourite Village 2019) and Morsalines bay between Quettehou and Quinéville! Moreover, if you wish to learn more about the history of the fortification, the Cotentin tourist office organizes guided tours during the summer.
Rent your accomodation with a beautiful view on la Hougue !
Lots of good reasons to book our mobile homes with sea view with an exceptional and privileged view of the Tour de La Hougue. So don’t wait to book your accommodation now at La Gallouette campsite in Normandy opposite one of the Vauban towers.
It was in June 1692, following the defeat of France at the Battle of the Hougue, off Saint-Vaast, that Vauban gave the order to build the towers of the Hougue and Tatihou. He decides to reinforce the defensive system of the Cotentin coast, particularly at Cherbourg and St Vaast following the losses of the French fleet during the naval battle of La Hougue. The construction of the fortifications ended in the 18th century. The purpose of these fortifications was to protect the roadstead of Saint Vaast la Hougue, the anchorage of the boats and generally the entrance of the village by the sea.
Finally, the Scandinavian and Anglo-Saxon invasions from the Cotentin coast and especially the bay of Saint Vaast are part of the history of Normandy. As a result, the Vauban towers witness to the past of the Cotentin region, an authentic territory steeped in history which is still reflected today in a cultural heritage such as the Norman patois. Also, during your stay at our campsite, come and relive the history of the battles of La Hougue and immerse yourself in the world of pirates by visiting the exhibition of the maritime museum of Tatihou Island.
ROUND THE TOWER
On the Hougue Peninsula, the landscaped environment also allows you to enjoy :
- one of the two beaches of Saint Vaast : the pretty beach of la Hougue. This beach is particularly appreciated for its magnificent view of the island of Tatihou. An afternoon beach by the sea, between two listed towers, a few meters from the campsite La Gallouette. Beach or swimming pool? The choice is yours!
- tennis courts at your disposal
- a children’s playground
- to see the goats that climb the walls of the fortification
- the small beach bar of La Houguette to refresh yourself or have a picnic.
Inside the fortification, bees gather in the shelter of the manhole… They produce the “Miel de la Hougue” which is then distributed in the school and the old people’s home of Saint Vaast or available for sale during the honey festival in October. This initiative and other actions to raise awareness of the essential role of bees are promoted by the association “Agir pour le Val de Saire”. Thus, Saint Vaast-la-Hougue has been awarded the “Api Cité” label.
- Guided tours of Fort de la Hougue, information at the tourist office, whch is located at the opposite of the fishing port of St Vaast.
- Terre de Marin Festival: in June, for a weekend, in a maritime and friendly atmosphere, come and listen to traditional sea shanties. Anglo-Norman or Cotentinian songs, let yourself be transported into the world of sailors and enjoy seafood while listenning music!
- Volleyball Holidays in la Hougue : Every week in summer, come and play a Volleyball match. It is a free animation proposed by the volleyball club of Saint Vaast.
- Horse show : It is a real meeting point for riders and tourists. This national competition has been held every year for decades. For free and in free access, attend the horse show of La Hougue.
- Traditional games for the whole family are organized on the grounds of the Hougue every August 15th.