Discover the 2nd highest lighthouse in France!
Located on the Pointe de Barfleur, only 20 minutes from the Normandy campsite by the sea, Gatteville-le-Phare is one of the must-see visits during your holidays in Normandy. A sporty visit, during which you will climb to the top of the lighthouse. You will be rewarded for your efforts with a panoramic view of the Channel Sea, the North Cotentin bocage and the Calvados coast. Dating back to the 19th century, this lighthouse is still in operation and illuminates ships approaching the Normandy coast.
The lighthouse in numbers
Equivalent to the number of days, weeks and months in a year :
- 365 steps
- 52 windows
- 12 floors
- 2: The Gatteville lighthouse is the 2nd largest lighthouse in France after the Ile Vierge lighthouse off Finistère.
- 75: It is 75 m high.
- 10,000: It took no less than 10,000 ashlars (7,400 tons) of Barfleur granite from the old Gatteville quarry to erect this monumental lighthouse.
How do we get to Gatteville?
- By renting your car at the Manche La Gallouette campsite, get to Gatteville Phare by 2CV ! At an attractive price, the 2CV rental will make you discover the Cotentin differently, take one of our « road book », follow the favourite itineraries, made by the team of the campsite La Gallouette, and venture on the small roads of the Val de Saire.
- on foot following the GR 223, along the Normandy coast. From Saint Vaast to Gatteville via Barfleur, let yourself be guided by the sea breeze: one of the most beautiful landscapes on the GR 223!
- by bike for the more sporty ones. On sandy grounds or by the tourist road, for about fifteen kilometers between St Vaast and the Gatteville lighthouse.
Things to see and do at Gatteville le Phare