Your dive into the heart of man’s great adventure under the sea begins at the campsite!
Situated under the great Art Deco vault of the former Gare Maritime Transatlantique, the Cité de la Mer of Cherbourg in Cotentin is an essential tourist site for your holidays in Normandy in the department of Manche. Both a museum and an aquarium, you will be able to discover the crazy epic of man’s conquest of the deep sea, the richness of the underwater biodiversity and admire the impressive machines near the large artificial harbour!
The different areas of the City of the Sea
- The nuclear submarine Le Redoutable, the first nuclear-powered ballistic missile submarine designed at the Cherbourg Arsenal in the English Channel. A one-hour visit with an audio guide who will explain the operation and life on board a submarine.
- The family attraction “We walked under the sea” which will make all the members of your family smile.
- The Ocean of the Future: A space with 5 multimedia shows spread over an interactive route highlighting the underwater world, its species and its riches. You will be immersed in the heart of the life and secrets of the ocean.
- “Cherbourg 1944… and freedom came from the sea”: Exhibition created on the occasion of the 75th anniversary of the D-Day landings. In the reception nave of Cherbourg’s Transatlantic train station in the Cotentin region, you can visit the permanent exhibition, which is freely accessible and which bears witness to the importance of the role of the port of Cherbourg during the Liberation. In the auditorium, a film with previously unseen archive footage will introduce you to the Battle of the City of Cherbourg during the days following Dday!
- In the luggage room of the Gare Maritime Transatlantique, it’s time to embark on a moving journey on the Titanic?
Anything new at the Cité de la Mer in Cherbourg?
This year’s new temporary exhibition at the Cité de la Mer focuses on the Titanic. In particular, it focuses on the objects that sailed on the legendary liner that made one of its last stops in Cherbourg in 1912. Exhibited in the luggage room, the objects will tell you the story of the passengers to whom they belonged.
Discover all these activities during your April or summer holidays at the La Gallouette campsite in Saint Vaast la Hougue, partner of the Cité de la Mer de Cherbourg 50.
Practical advice during your holiday in the Cotentin
It’s not just umbrellas in Cherbourg! If you wish to visit La Cité de la Mer in Cherbourg, we recommend that you spend a whole day there. To avoid wasting time in the queue, Camping Cherbourg offers a ticket service at the campsite reception, just for you!
If you are looking for a rental in camping Cherbourg, contact Camping La Gallouette in Saint Vaast la Hougue now to book your chalet or mobile home in Normandy.