Cherbourg en Cotentin is one of the important historical, touristic and cultural cities of la Manche. Just 30 minutes from our campsite Cherbourg, due to its location north of the Cotentin peninsula, only 3hours from England by boat, Cherbourg has had a strategic and coveted geographical location since the Middle Ages. Today, this presence of the sea remains a real asset for Cherbourg, a city open to the second largest harbour in the world dating from the 19th century.
In addition to the activities linked to the sea, in Cherbourg, you will find a lot of activities to do alone, with friends, in groups or with family during your holidays in La Manche coast (50) :
- Swimming pool of Collignon, Chantereyne and aquatic center of Equeurdreville
- Museums of the Liberation on the mountain of the Roule, of the fine arts Thomas Henry, of the Manufacture des Parapluies de Cherbourg …
- Summer guided tours of the city of Cherbourg, see programme at the Cherbourg tourist office or at the tourist information offices of the Cotentin region
- Boat trip in Cherbourg harbour, sea trip with Hague à Part on board the Adèle
- Sightseeing tour with the Little Train of Cherbourg
- Dive into the adventure of the « Citée de la Mer »
- Beaches: Collignon, Querqueville, la Saline and the « Plage verte«
- Nautical activities in the port of Chantereyne
- Exhibitions and major events : Tour of the Channel ports, the Hermione, foot races…
In Cherbourg, the sea is everywhere. The harbour protects the entrance of the city by the sea. It consists of 8 forts for 3 dikes directly in the water with a total area of 1500 hectares. It is a unique and very impressive architectural ensemble, whose construction idea was driven by Vauban in the same way as the Towers of Saint Vaast la Hougue.
A real port city
Cherbourg has no less than 4 ports in which the activities are diverse: tourism, nautical activities, yachting, professional fishing, passenger transport…
- The port of call
- of the most beautiful cruise ships, from the Titanic to the Harmony of the seas to the Queen Mary 2
- passenger ships with daily connections operated by Brittany Feries, Irish Ferries, Stena Line
- The Chantereyne marina
- The fishing port
- The port of Querqueville
The « Cité de la mer », located in the former transatlantic railway station of Cherbourg, retraces the history of man’s discovery of the seabed. Do not hesitate to consult our page dedicated to the Cité de la mer.
Saint-Vaast-la-Hougue, the spirit of authenticity before the ferry from Cherbourg
You’re going to Britain, you’re going to Ireland?
Have you thought about booking your rental or pitch in a campsite near Cherbourg?
Only 3 hours by boat, departures every day from Portsmouth with Brittany Ferries! It is up to you to choose whether you want to come with your motorhome, your camper van, your caravan, your tent, or just by foot to rent an accommodation.
Camping la Gallouette is very convenient for a stopover when arriving from the ferry or before taking the ferry back to England. Even more if you have a dog, because you can find a veterinary in Quettehou very close to Saint Vaast for getting the dog cleared before going to the ferry check-in.
Find the charm of a Normandy campsite near Cherbourg, the D-Day landing beaches, the Hague region and the Cotentin marshes: a strategic starting point for your visits to Normandy, West France and your transit to France, Ireland or Great Britain.
Unique in Cherbourg
During your camping holidays with heated swimming pool, go to Cherbourg in the Cotentin region to visit its museums, parks and beaches. But above all, discover the unique places for which Cherbourg is famous!
- The Château des Ravalet and its various gardens classified as Historic Monuments. It is the ideal place to stroll during your holidays in the Cotentin region. During the summer season, take part in the guided tours of the castle and parks of Les Ravalet every Sunday.
- The Thomas Henry Museum, Normandy’s fine arts museum. It brings together works donated by Thomas Henry to the town of Cherbourg and a large number of works by Jean François Millet, a local artist from The Hague.
- A singular visit to be made at the top of the Roule mountain: Les Batteries du Roule. Equipped with a helmet and a headlamp, this guided tour of the galleries will explain the role of Cherbourg and its liberation during the Second World War.
- Les Parapluie de Cherbourg : a nationally known luxury umbrella factory which can be visited from Monday to Saturday to discover the secrets of its manufacture. It is located on the quays of Cherbourg in a pleasant setting.
Did you know it?
Moreover, the film of the same name « Les parapluies de Cherbourg« , which won an award at the Cannes Film Festival in 1964, was shot entirely in Cherbourg!
Your rental or your pitch at Manche campsite
Book now your Mobil home or camping pitch in the Manche department, in Saint Vaast la Hougue, next to Cherbourg and enjoy all its services during your stay: snack bar, playground, heated swimming pool…. Your rental in the region of Cherbourg in Cotentin is ready to welcome you in the favourite Village of the French 2019, in mobil home Essentiel, mobil home Sea View, chalet 30m²… find the accommodation that suits you to spend your holidays in camping Manche (50).